Considerations for the changing workplace – Gen Y stats
Did you know:
– 50% of the workplace is now made up of Gen Y aka Millennials.
– 10,000 people per day in the U.S. turn 65. Baby Boomers are now starting to retire…..that means +/- 1000 people per work hour
– Top 5 things Millennials want from a boss: 1. Help me navigate my career path 2. Give me straight feedback 3. Mentor and coach me 4. Sponsor me for formal development programs 5. Is comfortable with flexible schedules
…and from their organization: 1. Develop my skills for the future 2. Org has strong values 3. Org. offers customizable options in my benefits and rewards package 4. Allows me to blend work with the rest of my life. 5. Offers a clear career path
– Millennials preferred way of learning is mentoring and coaching
– In 2010, people between the ages of 25 and 24 used email 18% less. Social media is taking over.
NOTE: source of these statistics is a webinar run by Karie Willyerd of SuccessFactors for a Training Magazine webinar on learning beyond the classroom held September 1, 2011.